gb fr ru ger

Home Suche Sitemap Impressum


Coat of Arms

Unfortunately the development of the coat of arms can no longer be completely traced back, due to damage by war.
Vergrößerung anzeigen

The original community of Munster, which was first mentioned in written records in 1252, did not have a coat of arms. It was laid down in law in 1935 that the community was under obligation to create a coat of arms.

The coat of arms can be explained through the history of our town. Munster used to be a farming settlement. The development of the community has been decisively shaped by the military since 1893. As a symbol of this recent development, it has been decided that the sword be added to the top part of the coat of arms. The church, on whose seal is depicted Saint Michael killing a dragon, adds the second motif to the coat of arms. This is how the dragon came to be part of the coat of arms. In the centuries of its history, the village has often been pillaged and burnt to the ground. This explains the thought behind the motif on the coat of arms; the weapon (the sword) protects the village from evil (the dragon).

The president of the province of Hannover awarded the Community of Munster the coat of arms and described it as the following:
“The coat of arms is a gold shield with blue at the top, on which is a silver sword decorated with gold and a blue and red fire breathing dragon which faces to the right.”

On the 18th of April 1967 the meeting of the council of the Community of Munster closed with the decision to put these requests before the State Government to award Munster the status of town:
- to change the background colour of the shield of the coat of arms that was awarded in 1937 from gold to silver;
- to allow the area to take up a flag of blue and white.

No documentation has been found for coats of arms for the surrounding villages.

Druckversion anzeigen